I have written about football – or “soccer” – from every continent on Earth. OK, except Antarctica. My work has been published in The New York Times and The Guardian, among others. For eight years I covered the sport for The Sun-Herald newspaper in Sydney. I’ve interviewed Sepp Blatter, been kissed on both cheeks by Mohammed Bin Hammam, and stood next to Leonel Messi in the Barcelona changing rooms when he was 16 years old. I’m the author of two books on football, one of which was made into a documentary film – The Away Game – and won an Italian Emmy. That achievement required I give a speech to an audience in Palermo, Italy, in Italian, a language I speak particularly little of. But I got a few laughs.
- RT @fairplaybooks: It just isn't #Christmas without a really good football #book & we've got plenty on offer from the likes of @matthew_hal… 4 months ago
- Rest in Power allaboutangles.com/2020/11/25/res… 4 months ago
- RT @FootballWomenOz: How good to see this. Thanks @matthew_hall! #WomeninFootball twitter.com/matthew_hall/s… 7 months ago
- So here's @NZ_Football coach @TomSermanni talking about NZ, Australia, the #USWNT, & the culture of women's footbal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 months ago
- A conversation with Tom Sermanni about New Zealand, Australia, the USWNT and its culture, and women’s football allaboutangles.com/2020/08/12/a-c… 8 months ago