I have written about football – or “soccer” – from every continent on Earth. OK, except Antarctica. My work has been published in The New York Times and The Guardian, among others. For eight years I covered the sport for The Sun-Herald newspaper in Sydney. I’ve interviewed Sepp Blatter, been kissed on both cheeks by Mohammed Bin Hammam, and stood next to Leonel Messi in the Barcelona changing rooms when he was 16 years old. I’m the author of two books on football, one of which was made into a documentary film – The Away Game – and won an Italian Emmy. That achievement required I give a speech to an audience in Palermo, Italy, in Italian, a language I speak particularly little of. But I got a few laughs.
- RT @ESPNFC: BREAKING: Swiss federal prosecutors open bribery case against PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi: es.pn/2gegg2B https:/… 6 days ago
- RT @SoccerInsider: Hey, how come the huge U.S. World Cup qualifier isn’t on regular TV? - The Washington Post #usmnt https://t.co/fJuhhQwo… 1 week ago
- @RNogarotto @peterfilopoulos @Elia_Santoro @TonyTannousTRBA @adamOsaussies @ecpkoko @j_rimac @dpletikosa… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- RT @Elia_Santoro: Then we wonder what is wrong with our game #ShakeHead. Btw u5 & u6s need to trial for the privilege of parents paying $15… 1 week ago
- RT @jaimiefuller: Desperately need @ussoccer to lead way for western world for women in leadership. Excellent piece by @matthew_hall https… 1 week ago